Skip to main content

A global outage has affected the Town's IT services. For urgent matters please call 08 9227 3707. 

Parking and vehicle management

Included on this page

The Town has adopted local laws to control parking in Claremont. In addition to managing available parking space, consideration is also given to aesthetic, safety and environmental issues.

Application to Hire a Parking Bay

If you require parking bays to carry out works such as shop refits or moving from premises within the Town Centre, then an application to hire a parking bay is required.

Please complete the online application form here.

Abandoned Vehicles

Under Western Australia's Road Traffic Code 2000 it is an offence to leave or abandon your vehicle in the road reserve or on a carriageway. Abandoned, unregistered and disused motor vehicles are covered by the Towns Parking Local Law which states:

9.7 Vehicles not to obstruct a public place

  • A person must not leave a vehicle, or any part of a vehicle, in a public place so that it obstructs the use of any part of that public place without the permission of the local government or unless authorised under any written law.
  • A person will not contravene sub-clause (1) where the vehicle is left for a period not exceeding 24 hours.

Where a report has been received about or a Ranger finds a vehicle that is unlawfully parked or could be considered to be abandoned, unregistered or disused, the Ranger can impound that vehicle.

In accordance with the Parking Local Law 2012 the Ranger will initially place a 24 hour notice on the vehicle advising the owner of their responsibilities and of the intention to impound the vehicle if it is not removed or relocated to private property.

All vehicles that are impounded by a Ranger are taken to the Town's contracted vehicle impounding area. Impounded vehicles may be recovered after paying the costs of their removal and impounding, plus a daily penalty.

If you believe your vehicle has been impounded, please contact the Ranger service on 08 9285 4300. If it has been confirmed that the vehicle has been impounded, payment of fees are made at the Towns administration Centre before collecting the car. You will also be advised that you will need to provide proof of ownership, such as registration papers of the vehicle.

The Town may dispose of an impounded vehicle that has not been collected within two months of the impounding date. Impound vehicles are usually sold by public auction through the Towns contractor.

For further information on abandoned vehicles, please contact Ranger Services on 9285 4300.

Parking Local Law 2016

536.17 KB
Thank you for your feedback!

Stay up to date

Get the latest news - from events listings to top tips on living green delivered directly to your inbox. Subscribing is easy.