Parking & Vehicle Management

The Town has adopted local laws to control parking in Claremont. In addition to managing available parking space, consideration is also given to aesthetic, safety and environmental issues.

Paying a Parking infringement

Council allows 28 days from the date of issuing a parking infringement for payment of the penalty. Payment may be made in the following manner:

Parking infringements that are not paid by the due date may incur additional costs. Unpaid infringements are eventually lodged with the Fines Enforcement Registry, after which your driver’s license or vehicle license will be suspended. The Fines Enforcement Registry also imposes additional costs.

A list of prescribed offences and modified penalties can be viewed under 'Second Schedule' on page 21 of the Parking and Parking Facilities Local laws.

Appealing a parking infringement

All parking infringement appeals must be submitted via the infringement review form. You must follow the steps below to see if we will consider your appeal, and if so, which documents you must provide.

The Town of Claremont will generally only consider a review against parking infringements in certain circumstances. Please refer to the scenarios below to determine if your appeal will be considered. If you believe you have reasonable grounds to request an appeal of parking infringement please proceed to ‘Submit an Appeal’

To view pictures of your vehicle at the time of the infringement being issued please click here. 
Application to Hire Parking Bay
If you require parking bays to carry out works such as shop refits or moving from premises within the Town Centre, then an application to hire a parking bay is required. Please click here to download the application form.
Abandoned Vehicles

Parking Local Law 2012

Under Western Australia's Road Traffic Code 2000 it is an offence to leave or abandon your vehicle in the road reserve or on a carriageway. Abandoned, unregistered and disused motor vehicles are covered by the Towns Parking Local Law which states:

9.7 Vehicles not to obstruct a public place
  • A person must not leave a vehicle, or any part of a vehicle, in a public place so that it obstructs the use of any part of that public place without the permission of the local government or unless authorised under any written law.
  • A person will not contravene sub-clause (1) where the vehicle is left for a period not exceeding 24 hours.

Impounding of abandoned vehicles

Where a report has been received about or a Ranger finds a vehicle that is unlawfully parked or could be considered to be abandoned, unregistered or disused, the Ranger can impound that vehicle.

In accordance with the Parking Local Law 2012 the Ranger will initially place a 24 hour notice on the vehicle advising the owner of their responsibilities and of the intention to impound the vehicle if it is not removed or relocated to private property.

Recovery of impounded vehicles

All vehicles that are impounded by a Ranger are taken to the Town's contracted vehicle impounding area. Impounded vehicles may be recovered after paying the costs of their removal and impounding, plus a daily penalty.

If you believe your vehicle has been impounded, please contact the Ranger service on 08 9285 4300. If it has been confirmed that the vehicle has been impounded, payment of fees are made at the Towns administration Centre before collecting the car. You will also be advised that you will need to provide proof of ownership, such as registration papers of the vehicle.

Sale of removed vehicles

The Town may dispose of an impounded vehicle that has not been collected within two months of the impounding date. Impound vehicles are usually sold by public auction through the Towns contractor.

For further information on abandoned vehicles, please contact Ranger Services on 9285 4300.

To access the Town's Parking Local Law click here.

Step 1: Find your scenario

My parking ticket or permit blew over or fell from the dashboard
We won’t withdraw the infringement, and sending us your ticket won’t change the outcome of the review.

Purchasing a ticket is only part of the requirement of ticket area parking. You must also make sure that your ticket is correctly and securely displayed. 
I was dealing with a medical emergency
We define a medical emergency as a severe injury or illness which poses an immediate risk to a person’s life or long-term health.

You will need to supply an official letter from the hospital or treating doctor confirming that you were involved in a medical emergency at the time the fine was issued.
I was held up at an appointment, work, court or other commitment
We won’t withdraw the infringement. Delays such as these are common and you need to choose a parking area with suitable time limits.
My car broke down
If your car breaks down, you’re expected to take swift action to remove it or have it repaired. You’ll need to supply:
  • A letter from the roadside assistance provider, which includes the car registration, date, time and location of where it was repaired
  • An auto repairer’s invoice, which includes the details of the required repairs as well as the date and time
  • A receipt/invoice for parts that were purchased on the day, if you carried out the repairs yourself
  • A towing invoice if the vehicle was towed, which includes the car registration, date, time and location it was towed from.
Please note all documents must be on official letterhead paper and include the company’s ABN and contact information. We’ll contact the provider to check the details.
I was only running a few minutes late
We won’t withdraw the infringement, even if you catch up with the parking officer.

Drivers are responsible for choosing parking areas that allow enough time to attend to commitments.
I was unfamiliar with the area or didn’t know the road rules
We won’t withdraw the infringement. A condition of having a driver’s licence is that you are expected to understand and comply with all road rules.
I misread the sign or didn’t see the sign
We won’t withdraw the infringement. The Town’s signs comply with the standards set by the relevant Australian Standard.  Drivers are responsible for locating signs and complying with the information displayed.
I can’t afford to pay the infringement
We won’t withdraw the infringement in these instances.
If the above categories don’t apply to you, but you believe there is good reason for your infringement to be reviewed, submit your appeal below.

Step 2: Were you the driver at the time?

If you are the owner of the vehicle but were not the driver at the time of the offence, you can nominate the driver who was in charge of the vehicle.

Under the Local Government Act, vehicle owners are deemed to have committed the offence unless they nominate the driver or person in charge of the vehicle at the time of the offence, within 28 days.

Nominate a driver

Step 3: How to appeal

If you’ve read steps one and two, and believe you still have reasonable grounds to request an appeal you can:

Submit an appeal