Exercising Your Dog

In public places, other than a designated dog exercise area, all dogs must be on a leash. Click here to view map showing dog exercise areas within the Town of Claremont.

Dogs exercised in designated areas must be under effective control of the person liable for control of the dog at all times and must not create a nuisance to other people.  A $200 infringement notice may be issued to owners of offending dogs.

Dog Ownership Responsibilities

Dog owners are expected to ensure that their pets are not a nuisance or dangerous to the community. Dog owners have definite legal responsibilities, which are intended for the convenience of all residents.

  • Register and microchip your dog once it reaches the age of three months as required by law.

  • Attach the registration disk and dog’s identification tag to the collar

  • Don’t let your dog wander without proper control.

  • Ensure your property is adequately secured.

  • Keep the dog generally quiet.

  • Clean up after your pet in public places.

Dog Registration

If you own a dog aged more than 3 months, please be aware that you are legally required to register them with the Town. It is an offence not to register your dog and you could be issued with a significant, on-the-spot fine for failing to do so.
The “Dog Registration Year” commences on 1st November each year and expires on 31st October regardless of when you take out your initial registration.  You have a choice of registering your dog for either one year or a three year period.

A reduction to the registration fee is applicable if you provide proof that your dog is sterilised. Proof may take the form of a sterilisation certificate issued by a veterinary surgeon, the relevant tattoo in the dog’s ear or a statutory declaration.
Please note that a dog registration issued in Western Australia is valid anywhere in the State until the expiry date has passed.
If you have recently moved into the Town of Claremont and your dog is currently registered elsewhere in the State, it is suggested that you contact the Town on 9285 4300.

Upon sighting your current registration papers, we will create a registration record and issue you with a replacement registration tag at no cost.

Alternatively, if your dog is currently registered with the Town of Claremont and you are permanently moving from the area, please provide us with the details of your new address and departure date. This information will assist in keeping our dog registration records up to date. Registration fees are listed on the Dog Registration Form.   Please click here for the form.

Dog Registration Renewal Notices

Dog registration renewal notices are mailed out to the dog owner approximately two weeks before the expiry date each year, generally mid October and are due for payment on 1st November.  Legislation currently requires you to sign the registration form and we are therefore unable to accept payment electronically, at this time.

Lost Tags

Has your dog lost its registration tag? A replacement tag will be provided at the Council offices upon payment of a $5.00 fee.

Microchip details

The Dog Act 1976 has been amended and commencing 1 November 2013 it is compulsory for any dogs registered for the first time or when change of ownership occurs.  As of 1 November 2015 all dogs must be microchipped.
If you know your dog or cat are microchipped and want to change the details- there are a number of organisations who may have provided the original microchip. If you are unable to contact the vet who performed the microchipping, these contact numbers may be able to assist:

  • Central Animal Records - ph1800 333 202

  • National Pet Register - ph 1300 734 738

  • Petsafe/ Homesafe - ph 1300 537 140

  • Australian Animal Register - ph 1800 025 461

Found Dogs - Ranger

To give the owner every opportunity to locate his or her pet, if you find a stray dog, please contact the Town’s Ranger on (08) 9285 4300 (business hours). The Town’s Ranger will arrange to collect the dog at a mutually convenient time and will endeavour to reunite the dog with its owner. If the dog is unregistered or has no identification tags, it will be conveyed to Swanbourne Veterinary Centre, to give the owner a chance to find it.

Lost Dogs

Dogs are held for a minimum of three days and are released on payment of $135.00 impoundment fee, plus $40.00 per day sustenance fee.
A current dog license must be produced when claiming the dog.
Lost and stray dogs are held at the Swanbourne Veterinary Centre, 2 Devon Road, Swanbourne.
The Veterinary opening hours are as follows:

  • Monday to Friday - 7.30am to 7.00pm

  • Saturday - 8.00am to 4.00pm

  • Sunday - 8.00am to 1.00pm

  • Public Holidays - 8.00am to 1.00pm

Swanbourne Veterinary Centre can be contacted on telephone (08) 9384 2644 during working hours and after work hours.

Multiple dog application

If you wish to keep three (3) dogs or more on the property, the owner is required to fill out a multiple dog application. Please contact the Town to discuss this process as approval may need to be sought from adjoining neighbours.
This application also attracts a $60.00 fee

Wandering Dogs

A fine of $200.00 is applicable for wandering dogs. Dogs found wandering the streets are impounded at Swanbourne Veterinary Centre.


According to Section 38 of the Dog Act, a dog must not cause a nuisance by barking.  Excessive barking is one of the most common complaints reported to the Town. Barking is monotonous and repetitive and is a sound that few people can tolerate for any length of time. Some dog owners have difficulty in believing that their dogs bark excessively because dogs usually bark when owners are out and are not barking when owners arrive home.

If you experience a barking problem please contact us by clicking here to obtain our dog barking diary and information sheet Barking Dog Kit.

The Council may take action against a dog owner if at least three people from at least two different properties are affected by the noise and are willing to declare that in writing (and in a court of Petty Sessions if need be).

Restricted Dog Breeds

The Dog Act 1976 has recently been amended to bring the provisions to restricted breeds from the regulations into the Act. They are designed to reduce responsible ownership of the dogs which are known to be more genetically disposed to be aggressive. Dangerous dogs can be of any breed; however, some breeds are more prone to attacking than others.

Measures are in place to increase the safety of the community and to ensure that the owners take increased responsibility for dogs that are known to be potentially dangerous.

Dangerous Dog

Any dog can be dangerous. The Act identifies three types of dangerous dogs.

  • Dangerous dog  (restricted breed)

  • Dangerous dog (declared)

  • Commercial (security dog)

Dangerous Dog (Restricted Breed)

Some breeds have been identified and declared restricted in Australia and Western Australia. They have been banned from import in to Australia and each state has introduced legislation to protect the community from these breeds.

Dangerous Dog (Declared)

Local Governments are able to declare a dog dangerous based on its behaviour. Reasons that a dog may be declared dangerous include;

  • Causing injury or damage by an attack or chasing, a person or animal

  • Repeatedly showing a tendency to attack, a person, animal or vehicle, or

  • Threatening to attack.

The Town will provide written notice to the dog owner declaring it dangerous, this notice will take effect within seven days after the notice is given.  An objection to a notice declaring a dangerous dog can be made to the Town within seven days. Protective measures must be in place until a review of the declaration has been investigated.

A maximum penalty of $5,000,00 applies to any breach of these regulations.  The regulations also provide authorised officers with extra powers for seizure and destruction where regulations have been contravened. These regulations apply to all restricted breeds regardless of temperament or behavioural history

Commercial Security Dog

An owner of a commercial security dog must ensure that the dog wears a collar of a kind prescribed to be worn by commercial security dogs with the information attached to or endorsed on the collar in accordance with the regulations.  When a commercial security dog is working at premises, every person liable for the control of the dog and the person who arranges for the dog to guard or protect the premises must ensure that the dog is confined to the premises. You must also prevent a child who has not reached seven years of age from entering or inserting any part of its body into that enclosure ( for further information refer to section 33GA of the Dog Act 1976)..

What Constitutes a Dog Attack?

A dog attack is a very serious offence. In the event that your dog does attack a person or other animal you will be held responsible, even if you were not there at the time.

A dog attack includes a dog aggressively rushing at or attempting to attack a person or animal, as well as tearing clothing, biting, or causing physical injury.  There are very substantial penalties of up to $10,000 for a dog attack and $10,000 and/or 12 months jail for inciting a dog attack. The dog’s owner or the person who has control of the dog at the time is also liable for any injury or damage to property resulting from a dog attack.

Click here for access to the Dog Act 1976.  Click here for an information sheet on dog attacks.


New legislation came into effect on the 1st November 2013 which requires all cats over the age of 6 months to be:

  • Microchipped

  • Sterilised

  • Registered with the Town of Claremont

  • Wear a tag in a public place.

The Cat Act 2011 has been put in place to encourage responsible pet ownership and also aims to reduce the number of unwanted cats in the community.

Registration fees for the Town are set by the Act as detailed below.  Please note that a microchip and sterilization certificate will need to be provided before the registration can be completed.  Any applicable concession cards will need to be sighted before processing the fees at the lower rate.  Registration after the 31 May of each year attracts a reduced fee for new registrations.

Click here for a Cat Registration Form.  View the Responsible Cat Ownership brochure here.

Other Animals

Native wildlife such as magpies, owls, snakes, birds or ducks that are wandering or compromised within the Town or found on your residential premises, please contact:
Deparment of Environment & Conservation - Wildcare - (08) 9474 9055