Health Services

The Town's Health Business Unit provides a range of services, in particular for local businesses.

Page Index

Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Air Quality
Food Safety
Hair Dressers and Skin Penetration Premises
Infectious Diseases
Keeping of Animals and Birds
Liquor licensing
Pest Control
Public Events
Trading in Public Places
Water Safety


Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Western Australia is working closely with the Commonwealth and state and territory jurisdictional governments to respond appropriately to the outbreak of a novel coronavirus that emerged in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China.

This is a rapidly changing situation. For up dates, please click the link below to visit the WA Department of Health webesite.  Please check back regularly to ensure the information you have is up to date.

Public drinking water supplies
Public drinking water supplies are safe to drink, however the surfaces around public drinking fountains including the spout and button/lever could pose a transmission risk for COVID-19 and other germs.  At this stage, it is not certain how long viruses that cause COVID-19 survive on surfaces.

Users of public drinking fountains should not place their mouth on the spout of a water fountain. Members of the public should be advised to test the water flow and let the water run for a few seconds before drinking the water without putting their mouth or lips on the spout.

Public barbeque facilities
The Town's public barbeque facilities are temporarily closed as of Friday 27 March 2020.


Air Quality

Dust, haze and smoke are the most prevalent sources of poor air quality within the Town of Claremont.
Sand drift and dust problems can be a nuisance to the community. Most problems with sand drift and dust arise from subdivision developments, building sites, brick cartage trucks, land clearing, industrial properties, road works, excavation sites, landfill sites and storms. Dust control is particularly important in dry weather due to the increase in winds, drying out rates, water conservation measures and the reduction in grasses.
As a landowner you are required to prevent sand or dust causing a nuisance, whether it affects private land or Town land such as verges, footpaths and roads. The Town of Claremont suggests that the following actions be taken to minimise the amount of dust produced when building or developing land.
  • Apply water or a binding agent.
  • Hydro-mulch the affected area.
  • Erect a temporary screen in the direction of the prevailing winds and to prevent vehicles from driving on the land.
  • Ensure trucks leaving the site are covered and that any spillage onto the ground surface and roads is promptly
For more information please click here.

Smoke contributes heavily to air pollution as well as having an adverse effect on the health of the public. When burning, it is suggested that all measures are taken in order to reduce the amount of smoke produced.  These measures include ensuring that you burn dry wood and that the fire is burning extremely hot rather than just smouldering. Should you have an issue with smoke, it is essential that you contact theManufacturer wood fire burner to have the issue resolved.
Further information is available at the Department of Health - click here.

Back yard burning of household waste is completey banned.
Wood Heaters
You can reduce smoke pollution from your chimney by following these simple steps:
  • Keep your firewood dry and in a well-ventilated area.
  • Never burn green wet or treated wood.
  • Have your flue checked and cleaned by a professional before winter begins.
Further information on reducing smoke emissions is available at the Department of Environmental Regulation - Wood Smoke by clicking here.

Food Safety

Food Premises Assessments
Food premise assessments are a core duty of Environmental Health Officers and are used in order to ensure and maintain compliance with the Food Standards Code Australia and New Zealand, the Food Act 2008 and the Food Regulations 2009.  Food premises assessments are conducted to ensre food safety practices and hygiene standards are maintained to prevent food poisoning and to generally maintain the wellbeing of the public.
Food Sampling Programs
The Council’s Environmental Health Officers undertake routine food sampling of the chemical and bacterial quality of food products for sale within the Town of Claremont in order to monitor compliance with the Food Standards Code Australia and New Zealand.

In addition to routine food sampling, the Town's Health Service is also an active member of the Western Australian Food Monitoring Group, undertaking scheduled sampling of a wide variety of food products to ensure state wide compliance with the Food Standards Code Australia and New Zealand.

Environmental Health Australia Online FoodSafe Training Program
It is a requirement of the Food Act 2008 that all individuals who serve food are able to provide evidence of food safety training. This is to ensure the quality and safety and the food products produced, and in turn ensuring the safety of the community. The Town of Claremont offers basic food handler training free of charge with Environmental Health Australia. Use the code FSCLARE338 to redeem your online voucher.
Food Business Paperwork
There are several forms that are relevant to food business owners, these forms should be submitted to the Town of Claremont as soon as practicably possible.
Application for Approval to Construct or Establish a Food Premise
Should you be wishing to establish a new food business it is recommended that you contact the Town of Claremont prior to making this application.
Should you be wishing to make structural changes to the kitchen or building then this form should be completed.
The application must be accompanied by two copies of a plan, drawn to a scale of 1:100 of at least A2 size, showing elevations and sectional drawings of all buildings to be licensed and showing ceiling heights and uses of rooms, inclusive of all fixtures and fittings, bars, food storage and preparation areas and toilets.
For the application form please click here.
Notification of Change of Ownership
This form should be completed when a food business is sold to inform the Town of the change of ownership click here.
Application for a Food Stallholder Permit
Should you wish to have a food stall at an event held within the Town of Claremont then you must have a current Food Registration Cerificate from your local authority.  Please see “Public Events” for more information. 
If you require further information, please contact Environmental Health Services by calling 9285 4300.

Hair Dressers and Skin Penetration Premises

Skin Penetration
Skin penetration is as a procedure in which the skin is cut, punctured, torn or shaved or the mucous membrane is cut, punctured or torn. This includes tattooing, branding; body piercing, acupuncture, scarification, dermal anchors and three dimensional art, body modifications and some beauty therapy treatments. All persons who perform skin penetration procedures and the premises in which these procedures are performed are required to comply with the provisions of the Health (Skin Penetration) Regulations 1998 (the Regulations) and Code of Practice for Skin Penetration Procedures.
The Code of Practice specifies the minimum standards that must be adhered to in order to minimise the spread of infectious disease. It provides for specific measures that must be implemented in regard to hand washing, the use of personal protective equipment or clothing and the handling and disposal of sharps and other contaminated materials.
The Department of Health website provides more information on skin penetration
Depending upon the type of activities to be conducted in addition to the Regulations and Code of Practice there may be additional criteria that needs addressing, please refer to the specific procedures for body piercing, tattooing and beauty therapy treatments below for additional information.
Beauty Therapy
Not all activities in the beauty therapy industry are regulated by the Code of Practice and Skin Penetration Regulations however; it remains the responsibility of proprietors and beauty therapy practioners to ensure the premises and practises are conducted in a safe and hygienic manner.
Environmental Health Officers regularly conduct inspections of Beauty Therapists to ensure that health and hygiene standards are maintained.
Hairdressing establishments are required to comply with the Hairdressing Establishment Regulations 1972. These regulations provide the minimum requirements for health and hygiene standards that must be adhered to in order to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
The Town’s Environmental Health Officers periodically inspect all hairdressing establishments to confirm that these health and hygiene standards are being followed.
Being a skin penetration activity the use of cutthroat razors is strictly limited to the use of interchangeable single use blades.
The Department of Health Use of cut throat razors in the hairdressing industry fact sheet has more information.  To view please click here
Application Process to Establish a Skin Penetration, Beauty Therapy or Hairdressing Establishment
Should you be wishing to establish one a new skin penetration business or hairdressing business it is recommended that you contact the Town of Claremont Planning and Health Services prior to making this application.  Environmental Health Services will review the application following approval from Planning Services.
Should you be wishing to make structural changes to the premises or building then click here to complete the form.
Please contact the respective Departments on 9285 4300 or email  
The application must be accompanied by two copies of a plan, drawn to a scale of 1:100 of at least A2 size, showing elevations and sectional drawings of all buildings to be licensed and showing ceiling heights and uses of rooms, inclusive of all fixtures, storage and preparation areas and toilets.


In recent years, severe domestic squalor and compulsive hoarding (also known as Challenging Domestic Environments) has received national and international attention. There has been a growing understanding of the complexities involved in each case and the difficulties presented when aiming to achieve successful, sustainable outcomes. 

There are many different and complex reasons why people display these behaviours. As a support person the most crucial way of supporting a person is to demonstrate patience, a non-judgmental attitude and be open to learning more about the behaviours. 
Risks to the Community
  • Safety risks from fires
  • Health risks as a result of squalid environments
  • Neighbours may face consequences such as damages to common property, vermin infestation etc
  • Poor relationships with neighbours and other community members; stress caused by the difficult nature of these relationships
  • Large financial costs for repairs of damage and clean-up
  • Costs for health care and community well-being involved with people living in Squalor (healthcare is often more expensive as there are a larger number of presenting problems due to long periods of time without medical attention).
  • Unsightly homes contributing to the value and status of a community
  • Minimisation of community pride  
If you feel that you know of someone that may need assistance in regards to hoarding contact the Town’s Health Services for assistance and information on 9285 4300.

Infectious disease

  The Council’s Environmental Health Officers are responsible for the follow-up investigation regarding cases of notifiable infectious diseases within the Town of Claremont.
Mosquito-borne Diseases
Ross River Virus and Barmah Forest Virus are the most common mosquito-borne diseases in South Western Australia and are contracted when a person is bitten by a mosquito infected with the virus. These infections generally occur during the summer months and are confirmed via blood test.  There are various measures that can be taken to minimise your risk of obtaining a mosquito-borne disease:
  • Avoid being outside during dusk and the early evening.
  • Wear loose fitting, long clothing when outdoors.
  • Use suitable personal insect repellent.
Further information is available at the following Department of Health - Ross River Virus and Barmah Forest Virus click here
Legionella bacteria thrive in warm, damp environments and are commonly spread through air conditioning and water systems as well as potting mixes, mulches, composts and garden soils. This bacteria has the ability to cause serious illness if it is inhaled or ingested. This infection can be prevented through the use of some protective measures:
  • Always wear gloves.
  • Keep the mix damp when in use.
  • Avoid inhaling the mix.
  • Wash hand thoroughly after use.
Further information is available at the following Department of Health - Legionnaires click here

Keeping of Animals and Birds

  According to the Local Laws  an “animal” includes but is not exclusive to; cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets and guineapigs and a “bird” includes, but is not exclusive to galahs, parrots, budgerigars, finches, pigeons and doves.
Animals and birds must be kept in accordance with the requirements of the Local Laws.  Keep the premises free from excrement, filth, food waste and all other matter likely to become offensive, injurious to health or to attract vectors of disease.  Ensure that it is not causing a nuisance or is injurious or dangerous to health.
Pigeons and Poultry
The Local Laws state that, a person can not have more than 12 poultry and pigeons unless he/she is an affiliated person (who may keep up to 30 pigeons or 12 poultry).  Pigeons and Poultry must be kept in accordance with the requirements of the Local Laws.

No poultry is to be kept within 15m of a dwelling house, public building, premises where people are employed or premises where food is stored, prepared, manufactured or sold.  All poultry is to be kept in a properly constructed and securely fastened enclosure.  The abovementioned structure is to be no less than 30m2.  The enclosure is to be kept in a clean condition at all times.  Roosters or Peafowl are not permitted to be kept within the Town of Claremont.

Liquor Licensing

If you’re applying for a Liquor Licence, part of your application requires the approval of your local council. You must lodge applications with the Town of Claremont for the following sections under the Liquor Control Act 1988:
  • Section 39 (compliance with the Health Act 1911, Food Act 2008, any written law relating to the sewerage or drainage of a premises, Local Gvernment Act 1995 and Building Act 2011 unless a conditional grant is being sought)
  • Section 40 (compliance with Town Planning Scheme). 
What You Need to Include With Your Application
  • A copy of the initial application with the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor.
  • Three copies of floor plans showing each level of each building to be licensed. Each level should be shown on a separate sheet of at least A2 size and show fixtures and uses of all rooms drawn to a scale of 1:100.
  • Two copies of a site plan, drawn to a scale of 1:500, either on the floor plans (if space allows) or on a separate sheet (at least A3 size) showing an outline of all buildings on the proposed licensed premises, the boundary of the land on which the premises are to be situated, the front entrance of each building, car parks and vehicular access to adjacent streets and names of all those streets. All outdoor areas should also be shown.
  • Two copies of a map of the relevant district in which the licensed premises are to be situated. In urban or suburban areas, a photocopy of the relevant page from a current street directory showing the premises’ location is sufficient.
  • Two copies of a plan, drawn to a scale of 1:100 of at least A2 size, showing elevations and sectional drawings of all buildings to be licensed and showing ceiling heights and uses of rooms, inclusive of all fixtures and fittings, bars, food storage and preparation areas and toilets.
  • Two copies of specifications (A4 size) including a detailed list of materials to be used in construction of the premises and describing all wall and ceiling finishes, floor coverings and all fixtures and fittings. Plans should be drawn to Standards Australia standards, by an architect, surveyor, town planner, engineer, builder or draftsman. 
Occasional Liquor Licence
If you want to sell liquor at a gathering, occasion or event including a sporting contest, exhibition or trade fair, you can apply for an Occasional Licence under Section 59 of the Liquor Control Act.
Most Occasional Licences will cover one function lasting only a few hours, but can authorise the sale of liquor at a number of functions held over a number of days. Each licence cannot cover a period of more than 21 days between the start of the first function and the end of the last function.


Noise can seriously disrupt people’s lives, causing loss of sleep, interference to activities and emotional stress. Fortunately, most complaints can be resolved between neighbours though a direct approach, however, if this is not successful Council’s Environmental Health Officers or local Police can assist.
Noise complaints commonly dealt with by Environmental Health Officers are those of a continuous and excessive nature and include air conditioners, swimming pool filters, stereo music, construction noise and power tools.
The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 (the Regulations) set prescribed standards for noise so that it is kept to acceptable levels. The Regulations also define procedures and penalties if the prescribed standards are exceeded. Council’s Environmental Health Officers are authorised persons under the provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1986 and have been trained in the use of noise monitoring equipment to measure noise levels.
The noise regulations aim to be fair and some allowances are made in the noise regulations for the use of equipment on residential premises such as power tools, lawn mowers and  musical instruments providing the time of day, duration of use and volume is not unreasonable.
The Regulations permit the use of power tools, lawn mowers for a duration of no more than 2 hours from the beginning of the day, only between 0700 hours to 1900 hours on Monday to Saturdays and between 0900 to 1900 hours on Sunday and Public Holidays.  Musical instruments are permitted to be used for one hour duration from the beginning of the day.
Construction noise is also exempted providing it is not unreasonable and does not occur before 7.00 am and after 7.00 pm between Monday and Saturday. Construction noise is not allowed on Sundays or Public Holidays without special approval.
Police Officers are also empowered under the noise regulations to deal with noise complaints and should be contacted for after hours complaints particularly when involving noisy parties and antisocial behaviour.
Police Communications should be contacted on 131 444 for complaints involving noisy parties, loud music or disturbances after office hours.
Similarly the WA Police have the power to silence audible security alarms, if they are satisfied that the alarm has been causing unreasonable noise for at least 30 minutes, they may take reasonable steps to the stop the alarm under the Environmental Protection Act 1986 (the Act).  Police Officers will call out an alarm technician, to disconnect the faulty alarm.   The Act permits the Department of  Environment Regulation to recover full cost of the disconnection from the owner of the premises.  Further information is available on the Department of Environment Regulation -  click here

Pest Control

Mosquito species which breed around residential properties can be controlled by households in a number of ways.  To prevent breeding around your home, identify and remove all sources of stagnant water (if this is not possible, the Town of Claremont recommends that a thin layer of Paraffin oil be added to the stagnant water to prevent the survival of mosquito larvae).  To protect your home, place flywire on all doors and windows.
Further information is available at the following Department of Health - Mosquitoes click here
Rats and Rodents
Rats pose a major risk to human health as they assist in the transmission of serious diseases.
There are several measures that may be taken in order to minimise the likelihood of harbouring rats.
1.   Store firewood away from the sides of sheds and fences and keep it off the ground.
2.   Keep your yard clean and tidy.
3.   Remove fruits and vegetables from trees/bushes/vines as they ripen.
4.   Block all potential access points around the building.
5.   Keep pet food dishes clean and keep pet food containers sealed.
Should you find that there is an increase in rat numbers on your property, it is advised that, in conjunction with the above-mentioned methods, that poison baits be applied as these are the most successful in destroying rats and rodents.
 Further information is available at the following Department of Health - Facts on Rats click here
If a resident wishes to have and maintain a beehive, he/she must first register with the Department of Agriculture and Food WA.  The resident must then apply to the Town’s Environmental Health Services for approval.   Bees must not cause a nuisance to neighbouring properties, if this occurs approval will be withdrawn and penalties may apply.  The Bee Keeper must comply with the conditions of the approval. 

Wild bees typically swarm in the spring of each year prior to establishing new hives. The swarm will often remain for a day or two while scout bees search for a new home or it may move to another location.
Should a swarm decide to settle in your property -
  • Keep children and pets inside for half an hour or so, until the flying bees have clustered on to a bush or other object.
  • Once the swarm has formed a cluster, usually about the size of a football, and most of the bees have stopped flying, it is safe to go outside and carry on as normal.
  • However, keep clear of the swarm until you can arrange to have it removed.
  • Always wear footwear to protect your feet.
Do not put the hose onto the swarm, throw stones at it, smoke the bees or take similar action.  These “do-it-yourself” remedies will aggravate bees, encouraging them to sting in defence.

If you notice a bee swarm or hive on Council property e.g. public park, right of way, or street verge, that you think may be a public danger, you can contact the Town’s Health Services on 9285 4300.

European Wasps
European wasps, Vespula germanica, are native to Europe and have established in North America, South Africa, New Zealand and eastern Australia.  The control of this pest is undertaken by the Department of Agriculture and Food Western Australia (DAFWA). initiated its European wasp trap surveillance system in the summer of 1994, as part of its ongoing eradication program.
European wasps are considered an exotic pest and is commonly found in the eastern states but it has not established here in Western Australia. However, there is a real threat of the European wasps being transported here by freight in cargo crates and boxes of merchandise.
So DAFWA has a program of surveillance trapping and an eradication program targeting this species of pest.  Further information about reporting and identification of European Wasps can be found via the Department of Agriculture and Food click here
You can also contact the DAFWA Pest and Disease Information Line on 1800 084 881

Public Events

All public events in Western Australia fall under the Health (Public Buildings) Regulations 1992 (the Regulations), even small events.  In the past this definition was held to only apply to gatherings or assemblies of people acting in concert or by some pre-arrangement.
That position has been shown to have been too narrower an interpretation to apply to the definition of “public building”. The interpretation is in fact much broader and captures most buildings and places where numbers of people assemble or gather for any one or more of the purposes specified in paragraph (a) of the definition. The list of buildings set out in the Table to regulation 7 of the Health (Public Buildings) Regulations 1992 (the Regulations) is therefore not a definitive list of “public buildings” to which Part VI of the Act applies.
Public building means —
(a) a building or place or part of a building or place where persons may assemble for 
    (i)     civic, theatrical, social, political or religious purposes; and
    (ii)    educational purposes; and
    (iii)   entertainment, recreational or sporting purposes; and
    (iv)   business purposes; and
(b) any building, structure, tent, gallery, enclosure, platform or other place or any part of a building, structure, tent, gallery, enclosure, platform or other place in or on which numbers of persons are usually or occasionally assembled,
From a ‘public health’ perspective there is no reason to distinguish between an assembly of persons gathered to watch, for example, an orchestral concert in a concert hall to a similar assembly of persons at a fair on an oval where each person may be attracted to attend for their own individual reasons (e.g. for the food, sideshows, cake judging or purely for the social interaction).

Please complete the attached application/s should you wish to hold an approved event in the Town of Claremont.
Public Events Application click here
Temporary Food Notification Application click here

Smoking indoors and in outdoor dining areas

The Tobacco Products Control Act 2006 (Act) replaced the current Tobacco Control Act 1990 and bans tobacco advertising and other forms of promotion, requires all persons who sell tobacco products to be licensed and introduced substantial fines for those who sell or supply tobacco products to minors. Improved enforcement and investigation provisions to support compliance activities, sees Western Australia with some of the toughest tobacco laws in Australia.
The Act bans smoking in all outdoor dining areas other than those with a hotel and tavern liquor license, although a minimum of 50% of the outdoor dining area must be non-smoking and cannot affect the patrons in the non-smoking areas.
The Act also bans the use of Shisha products even if they do not contain tobacco, in an outdoor dining area where food and drinks are being served.
Smoking in Enclosed Public Places
The Act will also became the head of power for regulations dealing with smoking in enclosed public places.  Environmental Health Officers (EHO’s) will still have a role in the monitoring and enforcement of the regulations.
From 31 July 2010, smoking was banned in all enclosed public places including those within all licensed premises, except the Burswood Casino’s International Room. 

Trading in Public Places

The Town's Activities on Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law 2003 regulates trading activities in public places and requires operators to obtain a permit from the Town in order to trade in public places. The purpose of the Local Law is to provide control on trading activities and ensure that they do not create nuisances or pose a risk to public health.

Application - Permit to Conduct an Activity on a Thoroughfare or Public Place click here.
Fundraising Events By Not-For-Profit Organisations
Please note that not-for-profit organisations e.g. Schools, Sports Clubs etc are exempt but are still required to complete an application. Please contact the Town's Health Service to obtain  the necessary paperwork.

Water Safety

Aquatic Facilities
The Town of Claremont Health Services undertakes monthly sampling of all public aquatic facilities to ensure the chlorine and pH levels as well as taking bacterial and amoebic samples for external analysis to ensure compliance with the Code of Practice for the Design, Construction, Operation, Management and Maintenance of Aquatic Facilities.  Further information is available at the following - Aquatic Facilities click here
Rainwater is essential in areas where scheme water is not available. It is safe to drink provided it is carefully collected and adequately stored. It is common that rainwater supplies get contaminated with things such as animal droppings, chemical sprays and other debris. The Town of Claremont recommends that you monitor your rainwater supply and take all practicable measured to reduce this contamination.
Bore Water
It is not recommended by the Department of Health to drink bore water unless it is professionally treated or tested on a regular basis. The Town of Claremont recommends that all water is filtered and treated prior to use as well as regularly being sampled to determine if the bacterial levels indicate that it is safe for consumption.  Further information is available at the following - Drinking Water click here
Environmental Water
Environmental Water bodies are monitored on a regular basis by the Town of Claremont to ensure that bacterial and amoeba levels do not exceed the recommended limits. Algal growth and other factors can easily influence the safety of the water.  Further information can be found at the following - Environmental Water click here
Greywater Reuse
Greywater is defined as any effluent with exception to waste originating from the toilet. In recent years greywater reuse has enjoyed increasing popularity, however it needs to be done with some care so as to prevent pooling or possibly spreading of disease. The practice of using a pipe from a washing machine or similar has been banned by the State Government and greywater reuse needs to be done by an approved means.
An application needs to be submitted to the Town of Claremont so that it can be assessed for the expected volume, the location of any existing on-site effluent disposal systems, setbacks to buildings and boundaries as well as ensuring the irrigation area or trenches are large enough to handle the expected flow of greywater.  Further information is available at the Department of Health - Greywater Systems click here  
Please note that the State Government varies the application fee every July
For further information, please contact Environmental Health Services by calling 9285 4300.