Doing business in Claremont

Business Regulations and Approvals

Include health and safety information

Food Premises

All food prepared for consumption and supply to the public is required to comply with the provisions of the Food Act 2008 and the FSANZ Food Standards Code. To ensure that all food businesses are complying with these provisions the Town of Claremont carries out routine food safety and hygiene assessments of all business premises. Environmental Health Services inconjunction with the Department of Health and LAHCC samples food for both microbiological and chemical analysis.

If you have concerns about the handling of food and conditions of the premises within the Town please call the Environmental Health Team on 9285 4300.

The Town of Claremont Health Services has implemented a free online training program which will allow all businesses and staff to be able to achieve the minimum level of food safety training that is required by the Food Act 2008 and the FSANZ Food Standards Code. The training takes approximately 1 hour and each receipent recieves a certificate that can be emailed directly to the Town or their employer.

To access this free online “FoodSafe” training, please Click Here  and use the login provided below:
Access Code: FSCLARE338

If you want to establish or refurbish a food business within the Town of Claremont you must obtain all the relevant approvals from Planning, Building and Environmental Health. It is important to obtain all approvals prior to construction as considerable penalites can apply for breach of the Act and Regulations.

If you are unsure of what to submit do not hesitate to contact this department. Guidelines on the Town's requirements for the construction and set up of a food business can be found through the following link:

Design & Construction Requirements for Food Related Businesses Click here

Under the Food Act 2008 all businesses are required the register or notify the local government authority where they are operating, this includes: mobile vendors, public and private events and bricks and motar businesses. The following forms are for for registration of a new business, notifying of changes to an existing business (incuding new changes) or for mobile venors at events or for puiblic trading:

Scores on Doors

In October 2016 Town of Claremont launched the Scores on Doors food safety program.  Under the new program Claremont food premises are able to display a star rating following assessment by the Town's Environmental Health Officers.  Scores on Doors is based on the unannounced, mandatory food inspections that are already being carried out by Town of Claremont.  It includes any businesses serving food, such as restaurants, pubs, bars, cafes and takeaway outlets. Following inspection, businesses scoring three stars or more are offered a certificate and window sticker to display to customers.  
Click here to view the Claremont businesses which have received three, four and five star ratings.  For more information about this program, please call the Environmental Health Team on 9285 4300.

Public Events

All public events in Western Australia fall under the Health (Public Buildings) Regulations 1992 (the Regulations), even small events. In the past this definition was held to only apply to gatherings or assemblies of people acting in concert or by some pre-arrangement.

That position has been shown to have been too narrower an interpretation to apply to the definition of “public building”.The interpretation is in fact much broader and captures most buildings and places where numbers of people assemble or gather for any one or more of the purposes specified in paragraph (a) of the definition. The list of buildings set out in the Table to regulation 7 of the Health (Public Buildings) Regulations 1992 (the Regulations) is therefore not a definitive list of “public buildings” to which Part VI of the Act applies.

Public building means:

  1. A building or place or part of a building or place where persons may assemble for
    1. Civic, theatrical, social, political or religious purposes; and
    2. Educational purposes; and
    3. Entertainment, recreational or sporting purposes; and
    4. Business purposes
  2. Any building, structure, tent, gallery, enclosure, platform or other place or any part of a building, structure, tent, gallery, enclosure, platform or other place in or on which numbers of persons are usually or occasionally assembled, The general intent of Part VI of the Act is to assist in the protection of the health, safety and amenity of persons in and about buildings and places where, generally, large numbers of the public gather for the purposes set out in the definition.

    From a ‘public health’ perspective there is no reason to distinguish between an assembly of persons gathered to watch, for example, an orchestral concert in a concert hall to a similar assembly of persons at a fair on an oval where each person may be attracted to attend for their own individual reasons (e.g. for the food, sideshows, cake judging or purely for the social interaction).

Trading in Public Places

The Town's Activities on Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law 2003 regulates trading activities in public places and requires operators to obtain a permit from the Town in order to trade in public places. The purpose of the Local Law is to provide control on trading activities and ensure that they do not create nuisances or pose a risk to public health.

Bunnings in Claremont also allow fundraising/community groups to host a sausage sizzle on Saturdays. This also requires a permit to operate and groups must submit an application form to the Town of Claremont before the event. Bunnings Claremont has a comprehensive application package which outlines the requirement to submit a copy of the permit to them in order to operate the sausage sizzle.

Application Forms - Events and Trading

Advice of structures form (required to be completed for all public events)

Application to construct, alter or extend a public building - Form 4A 2019-2020 (required for all public event applications)

New Creditor Request form 

Public building electrical certification - Form 5 2015 (required to be completed for all public events and public buildings that have an electrical connection)

Application for a permit to conduct an activity on a thoroughfare or public place - Form 5A 2021-2022 (Busking, Charities, Fundraising and Bunnings Sausage Sizzle)

Temporary food business registration form - Form 2C 2021-2022 (to be completed where food is served, including alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks) Please be advised that most these applications need to be submitted at 30 days prior to the event , please ensure that you check the application forms for the minimum amount of time required.

Once you submit the application forms the Town will contact you to assist you in the process and determine what approvals you will need to hold the event.