Ordinary Council Meetings
Ordinary Council Meetings are held at 7pm on the first and third Tuesday of each month (unless otherwise notified) at the Town of Claremont Council Chambers - Level 1, Number One Claremont, 308 Stirling Highway, Claremont.
Members of the public and press are welcome to attend all Council meetings.
To view the Ordinary Council Meeting Dates for 2020, please click here
Public questions to video conferenced meetings can only by submitted electronically and must be emailed to email@example.com
The Town of Claremont Meeting Procedures Local Law provides an opportunity for the public to ask questions at Ordinary Council Meetings. To assist those wishing to ask questions at a Council meeting, procedures detailed in the Local Law include:
- how questions are to be submitted;
- when during the meeting questions are attended;
- to whom questions are put; and
- how our responses are provided.
You can access the full Local Law document here
A total of 15 minutes is set aside for questions at the beginning of each meeting, which may be extended by resolution of Council. To ensure an equal and fair opportunity is provided to everyone, a maximum period of five minutes per speaker is allocated.
Questions are to be put to the Mayor and should be in writing and placed on the table near the microphone once presented.
Public Question Time Forms are available to assist you.
Responding to questions
Once a question is asked the Mayor may:
- Respond to the question asked;
- Refer the question to an officer for response;
- Take the question on notice, in which case a written response will be forwarded to you and included in the agenda papers in the next Council Meeting.
to fill out a Public Question form.
to fill out a Statement form.
Submissions to Council
The Town of Claremont Standing Orders provides an opportunity for the public to make submissions at Ordinary Council Meetings. A total of 15 minutes is set aside for community submissions at the beginning of each meeting, which may be extended by resolution of Council.
With the consent of the Mayor, the public may speak on any matter on the meeting agenda. To ensure an equal and fair opportunity is provided to address Council, a period of five minutes per speaker will be allocated, however, this may be extended by a resolution of Council.
Submissions are to be put to the Mayor. Notice to speak must be provided in writing to the Chief Executive Officer by noon on the day of the meeting; The submission must be put prior to a decision being made on the matter by Council.
The Town of Claremont Meeting Procedures Local Law 2018 provides an opportunity for the public to submit petitions at Ordinary Council Meetings. Petitions shall be presented to the Town of Claremont by no later than 12pm on the day of the Ordinary Council Meeting.
To be accepted, a petition must:
- be addressed to the Mayor;
- be made by electors of the district;
- contain the name, address and signature of each petitioner;
- contain a summary of the reasons for the request (Petitions shall be in respectful language).
- have the name of the person who lodged the petition with the Council shown at the top of each page thereof.
See an example of a petition template
Previous minutes and agendas
For copies of the 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 Council agendas or minutes, please click here.
For copies prior to this, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or phone (08) 9285 4300.
- Direct and control the Local Government’s affairs;
- Be responsible for the performance of the Local Government’s functions;
- Oversee the allocation of the Local Government’s finances and resources; and
- Determine the Local Government’s policies.
General Meeting of Electors
The Local Government Act 1995
requires Council to hold a General Meeting of Electors once a year (usually in December) to discuss the Annual Report for the previous financial year, and then any other general business.
To view the agenda for the General Meeting of Electors on 19 December 2019, please click here.
To view the minutes for the or the General Meting of Electors on 19 December 2019, click here
Advisory committee meetings
To assist Council in its role, there are several advisory committees that meet when convened. These committees are comprised of Town of Claremont administrative staff, Councillors and members of the public.
For copies of any other committee agendas and minutes, please contact the Town on (08) 9285 4300.