Freshwater Bay Museum is the new name of the old, much loved Claremont Museum. The Town of Claremont Council approved the renaming of Claremont Museum to Freshwater Bay Museum as part of a general strengthening of the Museum's role in the communtiy. The new name gives a broader social, political, cultural and envioronmental context to the work of the Museum.
After several months of being closed, both our historic boatshed on the foreshore of beautiful Freshwater Bay and the museum building are now open to the public. The museum building underwent restoration works to the walls which have been affected by rising damp while the boatshed has just seen as exciting upgrade with conservation works to the boatshed artefacts and new stories linking the historic building with the Swan River.
In 1862 the first school between Perth and Fremantle was built on Freshwater Bay. This building is now part of the core of the museum site, which opened in 1975. Established by a concerned group of local residents, the museum is run by professional museum workers, as a service of the Town of Claremont.
The Museum collects and preserves items associated with the district of Claremont and Freshwater Bay, including oral histories and photographs. The research facility provides researchers with information on Claremont's history and the education program for schools is designed to fit the curriculum.
With a variety of permanent and temporary exhibitions, the Museum offers a pleasant, stimulating visit for groups or individuals.